iOS 7 Tricks in :60
iOS Tricks in :60 and some Bonus Tips and Tricks
Are you new to iOS 7? So are we! We spent a lot of time making mistakes and figuring out iOS 7 tricks and tips that will save you time and save your sanity. In this short video, we’ll give you the basics. Check out the post with this video on GeekLift.com for a full list of things you may not have known to help you navigate iOS 7 and all it has to offer. If you have some tips we haven’t mentioned, we’d love to hear them. Send em! And have fun!
Here are your BONUS iOS7 tricks
1. Parallax Cardiac Arrest. iOS 7 has some pretty great features. One slick feature is the image in your wallpaper will actually move when you tilt your phone. It’s called the parallax effect. And while cool, it may make some of our readers ready to rip their hair out. Luckily for those readers, you can shut if off. Just click Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion.
2. Group Texts – GONE. You know you’ve been there, lying in bed, trying to sleep and the never ending blitz of text messages from a party of about six people. All you hear is the text tone over. And over. And over. With iOS 7, you can SHUT IT OFF. We don’t recommend you leave it off. But if you need to escape a never-ending smothering of fraternizing, just click Settings > Messages > and flip Group Messages off.
3. Block Callers. We’ve all had telemarketers call at the most inopportune times. Now you can block any number that’s calling your phone. Press your phone app and click Recents or Contacts (for some reason, this won’t work via your Contacts app). Click the Info button to the right of the name, and it will take you to their contact page. Scroll to the bottom, and click Block this Caller. Sayonara, time share salesman. This also works for text messages. Double-whammy.
4. Make Text Bigger. If you find yourself reaching for your cheaters, check out this option first. You can boost the size of your text. Apple has a ‘Dynamic Type’ mode that makes text larger in supported apps, which is nice on your strained eyes. Simply go to Settings > General > Text Size and adjust the slider as you wish. While not every app is supported, you can expect more to join the list as our eyes grow more tired by the day.
5. Siri or Sir, your choice. Siri now has a partner. I call him Sir. If you prefer a man’s voice talking to you every day then change Siri to Sir by clicking Settings, General, Voice Gender and click Male. And if Siri or Sir is pronouncing a word that is incorrect, you can correct her/him. Just say
“Siri that’s not how you pronounce that”.
6. New Slide Direction to Delete. When you’re in email and you want to delete a message, you no longer swipe from left to right, but now right to left. Yeah, we don’t know why either. But you might as well get used to it.
7. Safari, Stop Following Me. Safari now supports the ‘Do Not Track’ protocol. To do so, go to Settings > Safari and toggle the option under Privacy & Security. This will ensure that you’re not tracked and sites must abide by this. Not bad, eh!
8. New Camera Features. Now you can access your camera, your video camera, square lens and panoramic lens by just swiping your finger back and forth. Just open your camera and you’ll se the options to slide back and forth. Much faster and easier. We like easy.
Music: ‘Locally Sourced‘, YouTube Audio Library